Tuesday, November 30, 2010

You Can Have it All. . . but You Might Just Be Miserable With It

I have heard over and over in my generation: "You can have it all!"  You can be a successful business person, wife/husband, mother/father, social activist, God follower, philanthropist, sister/brother, best friend, cousin, etc.  You name it. . you can do it!  After all we have so much technology to keep us up to date.  I can count a handful of times that I learned something about my sister right there on FB.  But after living my own life and hearing from other friends, we just can't have it all. . or you might, but you just might be miserable along with it.

I was reminded of a quote by a good friend "If you can dream it, you can scheme it!"  We used to love that quote and used it frequently.  However that was before marriage, kids, bigger jobs, strains of "real" life, etc.  

So this is what many of us in our generation dream for:

-big job, climbing the corporate ladder
-a church or great spiritual life

-a wonderful, loving marriage
-2, 3, 4,or even more kids
-pets
-a large house to house everyone
-nice cars to drive
-wonderful vacations
-authentic, nurturing friendships
-a social network
-relaxation time
-volunteering our time

This is the quick list I came up with, but I am sure I have missed some. LOOK AT THAT LIST!  There are only 7 days a week and only 24 hours in them.  We want everything on that list and we want to be able to do it all with excellence.  I am here to tell you that I believe it is impossible!!! 

We have to make hard decisions, we have to decide where to focus our time and talents.   I do believe that God doesn't believe we need it all either.  After all . . what would be the purpose of Jesus. 
I pray this season for you and my own family that we would stop.  That we would breathe.  That we would realize that having it all, has not made us joyful, energetic people.  It has only made us tired wanderers.  Maybe the phrase needs to be re-written.  Maybe we should say to our kids to find their "few"  and do that well and with passion.

2 comments:

The Martins said...

I don't know you but I sure like this post :)
Thanks for the reminder!

Terese said...

Love this post Krista! So true!! :)