Thursday, November 11, 2010

Here I Go. . .

So, I thought I would tell you in this blog how I woke up to a bed full of urine and diarrhea and no it wasn't mine. :) But really?!?! No one wants to read about diarrhea and urine soaked kids' sheets. Out of the three readers I have, half of you probably already have these type of things at your own home, so I will spare you the details of my day. Instead I will talk about a new book and all my fears. Much better, right?

So this book is the funniest book I have read in a long time. I laugh aloud when I read it. I love it!

If you read my blog you will know that I posted a short blip about how I was going to run a half marathon May 7, 2011. It was short for several reasons. First, I have made such remarks before that I was going to do something big and let's face it. . .didn't. Second, I think I didn't want to draw too much attention as I wouldn't want people to ask me about it. Even Jeff looked at me like I was crazy when I told him. Let's face it, I am a slightly overweight mother of 3, that barely has time to do any exercise let along hours of jogging/walking. And yes I use jogging as what I do is not really running at all.

However, after reading part of this book, I am writing a new post about my intentions. The fact that I am already registered for this race is some more motivation as well. I will be running the Indiana Mini. Why they call it a mini I do not know. 13.1 miles is NO mini to me. But I will be joined by two other crazy people, Katy, my sister and my father, who happens to be turning 60 on the day of the race itself.

I have discovered there a a few things that keep me from just doing it, as Nike would say. Well one big thing. FEAR. Here are my fears put out there for you all to see. First, I am slow, and when I mean slow, I mean the turtle from the turtle and the hare could probably lap me twice. Second, I am overweight and as we know, running involves carrying your own body weight, which really sucks. Sometimes I feel like I am carrying an extra toddler with me. I am afraid of failure, I am afraid of blisters on my feet, I am afraid that people driving down Houghton will mock at me from their cars as I am desperately panting away. I am afraid that people will want to run with me (more on this later), I will run with them, and then they will internally think, "Poor girl, I hope she makes it" or "Poor girl doesn't stand a chance." I am sure there are others but that is what comes to mind right now.

The book, along with others tell you when you are going to do this to tell EVERYONE! That is one way you can't get out of it. Motivation by guilt that if you have told everyone you know that then you would feel like a complete idiot backing out.

So this past week I have had two wonderful women say they'd run with me. And I have a fear of them both (no offense to you lovely ladies if you read this). I am new at this. One even asked me to run the short leg of the P.F. Changs relay. My fear is that I will slow her down. That she is going to do the 8.4 miles faster than I can run the 4.7. The other wonderful lady just finished a triathlon. So. . . now you see what my life is like. But like I read in a another blog this week, I just have to put my big girl panties on and do it. And maybe, just maybe, my fear will get smaller and so will the size of my panties.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Krista, you can do it!!! I was in your shoes not so long ago - and even though (well, until this pregnancy - running had to cease) I've been running for just over 2 years, I'm just as afraid now when starting a race as I was in the first one. You could have pulled all of your feelings and descriptions (except I just have 1 child and 1 on the way) directly out of my brain. In my first 1/2 marathon, my goal was not to be last - and although I came in pretty close to the end (of like a million runners or something like that ha ha) I was NOT last! ;-) In the running world, I'm still slow, but I enjoy it and I'm moving. I'm cheering you on!!!!

Charlotte Hoffner said...

You can do it!!! I am more then willing to walk/run with you. I am really slow too, we will be a perfect pair!
Charlotte

Amy said...

You can totally do it, Krista!!!! :)

Katy said...

Bring it, Sister! We will be slow together! I am carrying an extra "Will" so I know exactly what you mean, and I live here so I will know a few people running and you get to hop on a plane and not see anyone! :) It will be great, and the goal is just to have fun!! Super excited you're taking this on and you're not alone...You've got me and the old man! :) Love you!!!