Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Swearing Kids

So I know that good parents like myself never swear at all in front of their kids.  If wonderful cherubs like mine were to ever open their mouths and heaven forbid any "potty" language would come out, that would only be because of something they MUST have heard elsewhere.  You know the bus, recess, from the neighborhood kids, anywhere but our always put together, lovely, pure, "potty" language-free, shouting-free home. :)
Well, I am going to let you know right now, if I tell you all that, I am lying to you.  If my middle son ever shouts out the words "OH S#@T!"  I can honestly say it came from me, his not always appropriate mother.  Yes, as much as I would like to place the blame on other kids, or even my own husband, the blame lies with me.  He has heard it twice from me in one week.

Here is one of the stories:
We have a small water feature/pond in our backyard, there is a decorative fence around it, and both older kids have stayed out of because we just said no.  However, have you met our third angel baby? 
When cooking dinner yesterday the door to the back was open, but all three kids were outside.  And yes I know a whole CPS issue arises that I was cooking and I did allow my very mature 6 year old to look after the 21 month old.  Anyway, my middle son comes in and yells "MOM, C is in the pond!"  Knowing all the stories I have heard about babies being able to drown in inches and small buckets of water, I immediately throw down my cooking utensil, proceed to yell "OH S#@T!", and run out the back door.  Only to find he was not actually submerged in the pond water, but standing next to it.  Whew!  He proceed to go to time out and I proceeded to ignore the fact I just swore in front of my 4 year old, and go back to cooking.

I will not bore you with the other story as it involves being locked out of my parents house, after laying by the pool, having to jump a fence to go to the neighbors (not clothed well) to actually get back in the house where  my 21 month old son was sleeping by himself.  Oh my adventures!

So, I have outed myself.  I am venturing to guess that I am not the only parent that cannot use the bus, recess, or neighborhood kids as an excuse to why my kids might one day use some "potty" talk. 

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

So what's my excuse for when my infant, who has not met anyone ever at birth, flips only those off from church?:) Kids are fun aren't they:)

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget the day when N was really little, and for some reason I ran my hand down a door frame (I'm sure there was a good reason at the time, but memory escapes me), and this action caused a huge splinter to run itself deep into my hand, and I yelled, "F%#k" right in front of him. He could barely talk at the time, and he said to me, "Guck, Mamma? Guck?" which was his word for "truck" at the time. I gratefully replied, "Yes! That's right! Mamma said "truck"!" and he toddled off to the front window to see if he could spot it on the street.